- August 30, 2009The Cow-Head Lesson for Merdeka: Delegitimize Violence and Hatred
- January 9, 2010121 NGOs Join Hands to Condemn Church Attacks
- January 9, 2010Joint Statement of Civil Society – Malaysia Will Not Bow to Acts of Violence
- March 5, 2010On the Flogging of Muslim Women
- March 8, 2010Civil Society Joint Statement on the 2nd Anniversary of March 8 2008 General Elections
IRF on BFM 89.9
Here is the Music Player. You need to installl flash player to show this cool thing!
Desecration Of Surau in Negeri Sembilan Only Unites Malaysians
August 24, 2010
1. We the undersigned NGOs condemn the desecration of the Surau in Taman Pulai Impian, Sikamat, Seremban, which reportedly happened in the wee hours of August 23 (Monday).
2. The perpetrator(s) has committed a heinous crime but in no way this should be read as an instance of religious conflict. The desecration of one place of worship is tantamount to a dastardly attack on all places of worship in our beloved land.
3. Last year, also on the eve of Merdeka celebration, we had the cow-head protest in Shah Alam aiming to create tension and fear between the Muslims and Hindus. The sinister plot however failed miserably because Malaysians of all faith backgrounds united and stood up against them.
4. This time they too will fail. We appeal to all peace-loving Malaysians to stay calm and not fall into the trap set by ultra right-wing elements bent on brazenly exploiting ethno-religious primordial sentiments.
5. We call upon the Prime Minister and his Cabinet to send a clear signal to the People by unequivocally condemning the perpetrators of a series of incidents aiming at disrupting peace and harmony of the nation. The PM must ensure that PDRM
investigates this desecration incident professionally.
6. Regrettably, these developments have been surreptitiously fomented and exploited by certain irresponsible elements within our society. This seems to be
orchestrated by a hidden hand with ulterior motives to create tension and a climate of fear
7. We cannot allow these irresponsible elements to hijack democracy and
undermine our nationhood. All of us must stand-up for and in solidarity with each other as fellow citizens.
8. We wholeheartedly support the call of the Chairman of the Surau Committee, Encik Mohd. Hasbi Ismail for all parties to remain calm, and to let the PDRM complete its investigations and bring the perpetrator(s) to book. Ordinary citizens must not take the law into their own hands.